Spell. Socialize. Swindle. Yes, swindle for community betterment, so that LemonDrop can continue nurturing creative culture, promoting artists, enabling art and facilitating compensation for inspiring work. Enjoy a silent auction full of local artwork, hor d’oeurves and a cash bar, too!
7–9:30 pm on Saturday November, 10 at LemonDrop, 416 W. Commercial St.
Would you like to spell or spectate?
Spectators: Email Meganne@LemonDrop.org. Tickets are $15 per attendee, and will be emailed to print.
1. Sign up by emailing Meganne@LemonDrop.org in teams of two to four. $40 is due at registration that is placed into your “cheat bank” during the spelling bee.
2. In the days leading up to the tournament, raise money for your team’s “cheat bank”.
3. On game day, deposit your fundraising efforts into your “cheat bank” and use the funds to order from a menu of the following cheats:
• I before E? ($10): Request one letter hint.
• Phone a friend ($20): Ask your team for their opinion.
• Choose a new word ($30) Don’t like your word? Get a new one!
• Consult the dictionary ($40): One speller may look through the dictionary before spelling the word.
• Change it up ($40): Swap places with another team member.
• Make up a word($50): Spell what ever you like and, so long as you can pronounce and define it, your word boosts you to the next round.
• Pass! ($75): You don’t have to spell a thing! Advance to the next round.
• Immunity ($500): You raised $500!? Advance to the last round!
Start raising money now to help boost your team to the final round!
$40 to compete with your team
$15 to witness the extreme alphabet competition
Where are the proceeds going?
We are raising funds to install track-lighting throughout the gallery and put in a new art-hanging system that does not damage the walls. We are also working toward building funds to acquire art supplies to facilitate open studio hours for the community.
At the very simplest level, LemonDrop is a volunteer-based, nonprofit organization that serves local music, local art and the Springfield community.
Beyond being a physical gallery and venue, we act as facilitators of local art, continually creating and maintaining relationships with artists around the area and working to get them acknowledged and compensated for their work. We accomplish this goal by:
· Organizing gallery shows every first Friday of the month.
· Hosting special art events that focus on and promote artists.
· Hosting an annual Art-a-Thon in which artists acquire dollar-per-hour pledges, then stay awake between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. creating art. The highest pledger for each artist wins the artist’s completed work. This event raises money for the participating artists, LemonDrop and a local charity. Previously, the Art-a-Thon has donated to under-funded elementary art teachers and The Victims Center.
Since the bar ban passed in 2006 prohibiting anyone under 21 from attending concerts at bars, options have been limited for musicians and music fans alike who are 20 and under. LemonDrop has become an oasis for these venue-less concert goers, providing sound, stage lighting, concessions and a unique atmosphere. We also operate as a practice space for several great local bands.
Finally, LemonDrop has firmly rooted itself on Springfield’s Historic Commercial Street. Being a business owner or volunteer on C-Street is truly being a member of a community family.
To continue to promote our creative community, LemonDrop also hosts Spanish language acting lessons, organizes and holds family-friendly all-day festivals, as well as regularly hosts (and now co-organizes) PechaKucha discussions.
Thank you for considering participating in the LD Spelling Bee.
We hope you’ll join us at any of our art shows, concerts, or C-Street events.